Learning to operate in a new and unfamiliar environment is challenging, especially if you don't know who to ask or where to go for help. Here are campus resources that will help you make a smooth transition to life as a UNT student.

Get Smart

Attending classes

Need to register for classes?

You've been accepted to UNT and your first order of business is to register as a new student. All registration is conducted online at my.unt.edu. You will need your EUID and password to register. If you need help, contact the Registrar's Office.

UNT students in the Union

Tools you'll need to register:

Got to pay for classes?

Once you've registered and selected your classes, you'll need to pay your tuition bill.

What are the academic dates and deadlines that I need to know?

The Academic Calendar can help you plan for mid terms, final exams, class registration, holidays and commencement.

Want to take your education further?

Global Engagement supports UNT's globalization priorities in the areas of:

  • global research engagement
  • international student recruitment
  • international alumni engagement
  • sponsored students
  • student retention
  • UNT's partnership with the Autonomous University of the State of Mexico (UAEM)
  • global development.

Study Abroad, located in Sage Hall, Room 236, will help you go experience the world. Call (940) 565-2207 to get more information.

Need some academic help?

  • Office of Disability Access
    College life poses different challenges for students with disabilities. If you’ve been diagnosed with a learning difference such as dyslexia, or if you need a physical accommodation, the Office of Disability Access will make sure you receive the support you need to succeed at UNT. You can apply for services by visiting the office in Sage Hall, Suite 167 or by calling 940-565-4323, or find out if you qualify for services online.
  • Learning Center
    If you want to do all that you can to succeed academically, or if you’re worried about succeeding at UNT, turn to the Learning Center for help. Located in Sage Hall, Suite 170, the center staff will help you find answers to the questions you have about reaching your academic goals. The Learning Center offers academic assistance by:
    • Connecting you with free tutors
    • Offering Learning 101 workshops on topics ranging from time management to note taking to test taking strategies
    • Offering academic coaching for general help with your academic struggles
    • Offering exam preparation
    • Connecting you with other campus resources
  • UNT MathLab
    If you're having difficulties in 1000-2000 level math courses, the MathLab is available to help you. MathLab tutors can help with specific questions, help you get started on a problem, check that you're approaching a problem correctly and encourage you through the process as you tackle your homework. The MathLab is located in Sage Hall, Room 130.
  • The Writing Center
    If you need help writing correctly, contact the Writing Center. The center provides an online service as well as maintaining office hours in Sage Hall Room 150. Questions can be submitted online and are usually answered within 24 hours.



Have Fun

Key Spring Dates

See the full UNT Calendar for more important dates and events.

Food and dining


After hours of classroom work, studying or meetings, your brain needs refueling. There are many campus options to meet your dining needs, with everything from light snacks to multi-course meals and choices ranging from vegan to Southern comfort foods.

UNT's Dining Services helps to ensure that students have healthy, tasty and convenient food at almost any hour of the day, by providing five dining halls with various hours and different menus.

UNT students dining

Dining hall locations:

During the summer, Bruceteria is the only residence hall cafeteria open.

Retail dining options

The new University Union has several Retail Food Shops, including many national brands such as Burger King, Chick-fil-A, Jamba Juice and Starbucks, just to name a few.

Other campus eateries

If you have class in the vicinity of Wooten Hall and you find yourself in need of nutrition, you can purchase Peet's Coffee & Tea, cold drinks, baked desserts and light lunch items at The Go! Station.

If you spend time at Discovery Park, check out Park Place Market where you can buy sandwiches, salads and bakery items, drinks and gourmet coffees. Or you can get a cup of coffee and a snack at Discovery Perks.

Café G.A.B. in the General Academic Building offers a Caribou Coffee espresso bar, grab-and-go items, bagels and pastries. Khush Roti International Sandwiches serves a diverse selection of delicious sandwiches and side items near the GAB and Sycamore Hall.

Biz Café serves Starbucks coffee and drinks, grab-and-go items and convenience store items in the Business Leadership Building.

And if you need a little caffeine to perk up your Willis Library study session, visit The Study for coffee, tea, soft drinks and bakery items.

Arts and entertainment


Intermedia Performance Art program

There's never a dull moment on campus, if you know where to look. Whether you want to hang out with friends, are looking for entertainment for a date or want to help cheer the Mean Green to victory, you can always find something to do.

If you want to learn what's happening on campus, your first stop is the official UNT Event Calendar.

UNT's College of Music produces more than 1,000 performances during an average academic year, and many of them are free. To see what's coming up, check out the College of Music events calendar.

For 114 years, the university's Fine Arts Series has brought a variety of programming to campus, including writers, artists, performers and speakers. All Fine Arts Series events are free for current UNT students.

UNT's Department of Dance and Theatre produces several theatre productions and choreographed dance performances each semester. Tickets are usually less than $10 for students.

The College of Visual Arts and Design galleries provide places for the public to view the work of contemporary artists, enhancing culture in the North Texas region. Four galleries are part of the College of Visual Arts and Design:

Wondering what's going on?

  • KNTU 88.1FM is UNT's campus radio station. The station's main format is jazz, but KNTU also broadcasts UNT football and basketball games.
  • North Texas Television is a nonprofit, student-run, cable access channel broadcast on Charter Cable 192 and Verizon Fios 46.
  • The North Texas Daily is UNT's official student newspaper.
  • NT Daily Radio broadcasts weekly online and also streams through DentonRadio.com.
  • NTDaily TV is broadcast weekly in Spanish and English on the Denton Community Access Television channel, Charter Cable 25 and Verizon Fios 39.

Looking for some peace and quiet?

Opened in 2001, Goolsby Chapel provides the UNT community with a quiet place for self-reflection, meditation and individual worship for people of all faiths. The chapel, located on Maple Street also is available by appointment for small wedding ceremonies and other special events.

Sports and recreation

Want to cheer for the Mean Green?

UNT Mean Green football

Don't miss all the excitement of Mean Green football this fall in UNT's Apogee Stadium. As a student, you can attend all games for free just by showing your student ID. Don't forget to wear your green gear.

Find out when the Mean Green take the field, the court or the arena for any upcoming UNT sporting event on the Athletics website where you can also view seating charts of UNT's Apogee Stadium and the Coliseum, buy tickets for non-student guests and read up on all your favorite Mean Green sports' statistics. The Mean Green Radio Network broadcasts Mean Green football and basketball games on two 100,000 watt stations:

Want to get your game on?

When you're in the mood to shoot a little pool, play video games or just kick back and watch the game, The Syndicate in the University Union provides all of the above. The Syndicate is a two-floor hang out location with a sports lounge feel. It hosts open mic nights, performances by bands and stand up comedians, watch parties for awards ceremonies, the Olympics, and the Super Bowl, and much more. Students can request to change the channels on the TVs, and all televised UNT Athletics events are shown in the Syndicate. UNT Jazz bands--and the famous One O'Clock Lab Band--play on the Syndicate stage several times a week. On the second level, you can check out free pool equipment for the pool tables and multiple TV lounges, where you can connect your game console or laptop to the screen and play games or watch TV and movies.

Or maybe you participated in a specific sport in high school and want to keep playing now that you're in college. UNT has a wide range of Sport Clubs that you can join to keep up your skills.

Want to get in shape?

Whether you're worried about keeping off the famed freshman 15 pounds or want to get in better shape to stay healthy and happy, UNT provides several options to get you up and moving.

The Recreational Sports Department provides programs, services, and facilities to support your recreational and fitness needs. The crown jewel of the Recreational Sports Department is the Pohl Recreation Center, located on Chestnut Street. Currently enrolled UNT students who have paid the Rec Fee are automatic members of the Pohl Recreation Center. A current UNT ID card is required for entrance to the Rec Center.

Other Recreational Sports Department facilities:

Meet new people and get involved

Want to join a group?

UNT is an environment rich with diversity, bringing together different people with a vast array of ideas, philosophies, cultures and histories. So no matter what your walk of life is, there is probably a group that will welcome you and all the uniqueness you bring with you.

UNT students participate in Make a Difference Day at Lewisville Lake Environmental Learning Area

Interested in learning about others?

UNT's Multicultural Center is committed to cultivating a campus environment where people of all identities and experiences can thrive. The center fosters the success and awareness of historically underrepresented student populations with an emphasis on disability, race/ethnicity, gender, interfaith, and sexual orientation. Located in Room 335 of the University Union, the center offers programs and activities that are developed to increase awareness, understanding, and intersectionality of the various identities in the UNT community.

Want to get involved?

The Center for Leadership and Service develops learning opportunities for students to engage as active citizens and leaders in the community and provides volunteer and leadership development opportunities. Visit us in the University Union, Suite 345, to find your place on campus.

The Student Government Association is a student organization dedicated to serving the interests of the student body. UNT recognizes the SGA as the official voice of the students. The SGA offices are located in the University Union, Room 344.

The Talons, UNT's official spirit and tradition organization, keep the UNT spirit and traditions alive and thriving on campus.

UNT's University Program Council is the university's only student-run programming board and is devoted to planning events for students that are educational, social, cultural and exciting. UPC coordinates a wide variety of events, from movie screenings to  concerts.

Want to know why we do what we do at UNT?

As a new student, you'll understand more about UNT if you read about the university's history and learn how the traditions we observe today got started.




Health and safety


Was it last night's all-night study session that has you feeling lousy or is it the flu? Get checked out at the Student Health and Wellness Center before you start feeling worse. If you're feeling good and working to stay healthy, the center is committed to helping you reach that goal. Medical visits are by appointment only.

To schedule an appointment, call 940-565-2333. A student ID card is required at check-in. The center takes credit cards, check or cash for payment, though consultations with general practitioners are covered by the Medical Services Fee. The Student Health and Wellness Center ONLY files medical insurance claims for the university endorsed student insurance policy underwritten by United Healthcare Student Resources.

The Student Health and Wellness Center is located on the second floor of Chestnut Hall and the UNT Pharmacy is located on the first floor of Chestnut Hall. Other health services available in Chestnut Hall include health education office in Suite 301, College Optical Express in Suite 101 and the Campus Smiles dental office in Suite 154.

The Substance Abuse Resource Center helps students with existing issues regarding drug and alcohol use also works to create a safer campus atmosphere. The center is on the third floor of Chestnut Hall, Suite 301. Call 940-565-2787 to schedule an appointment. No referral is required.

In addition, the Collegiate Recovery Program in Chilton Hall provides support and a variety of services for students who are in recovery.

Feeling depressed or stressed out?

College life can be overwhelming at times, but you can get free emotional support and counseling services at the Counseling Center to help you get through those difficult times. Counselors at the center are specially trained to help college students:

  • adjust to college life
  • cope with stress
  • deal with relationship problems
  • chose a career
  • overcome critical situations when you may have thoughts of harming yourself or others

The Counseling Center is part of Counseling and Testing Services, in Suite 311, Chestnut Hall. Summer hours are Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. until, Aug. 24. Fall hours are Monday and Tuesday, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. and Wednesday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Need emergency help?

UNT student chatting with a UNT Policeman

In an emergency situation, your first call should be 911. A dispatcher will send emergency personnel, and if the incident is happening on the UNT campus, that probably will include officers from the UNT Police Department, in the Sullivant Public Safety Center,  department also can assist you in cases of property theft or destruction and other crime investigation, if the incident took place on the UNT campus.

For incidents that happen in Denton beyond the UNT campus boundaries, contact the Denton Police Department.

For incidents that happen beyond the Denton city limits but within Denton County, contact the Denton County Sheriff's Department.

What if the university closes for bad weather?

Eagle Alert is UNT's emergency notification system to quickly give you critical information in an emergency. The system allows administrators and emergency preparedness staff to quickly notify the campus community about weather alerts, campus closings due to weather or public safety emergencies. If there is an emergency, you will receive an automated call or text to the preferred phone number you provide at my.unt.eduBe sure your contact information is up to date by going to my.unt.eduLog in using your EUID and password, go to "Update Eagle Alert" and follow the instructions.

In addition to sending Eagle Alert messages, the university will notify the campus telephone operators, post information on the UNT website and the UNT Facebook page and begin informing news media about closures. You also can follow @UNTEagleAlert on Twitter for real-time updates in an emergency.

Need legal help?

If you are facing a legal problem, Student Legal Services may be able to help you with many types of cases. Staff members may write letters, draft legal documents, represent students, arrange for mediation or otherwise attempt to resolve legal problems. While general legal advice may be available, Student Legal Services does not represent students in criminal matters (including traffic tickets). Student Legal Services is located in the University Union, Room 411.